Travelling after Brexit

Posted on 30th September 2021

The UK, for pet travel, has been granted Part 2 Listed Status which means there are now important changes to pet travel rules between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and the EU and Northern Ireland.

Below is a list of the key points / changes for travelling with your pet (dog, cat, ferret) between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and the EU, and between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Please note that travel to other non- EU countries have separate guidelines.

🌍 UK Pet passports are no longer valid for travel to EU countries or Northern Ireland.

🌍 EU passports are still valid for travel but can nolonger be filled in by UKvets so any subsequent rabies vaccinations would need to be updated in the EU.

If your pet has an EU passport and their rabies booster is due close to the period of travel to the UK, please have the rabies vaccination done in your EU country of residence before travelling.

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland (NI) your pet needs:

  • A microchip placed or read before any rabies vaccination
  • Your dog, cat or ferret needs to be vaccinated against rabies (NB: your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated).You will need to wait 21 days after any primary vaccination before you travel
  • An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) in the 10 days prior to travel. This official document can be obtained from your veterinary practice. You will require an appointment with one of our official vets who is authorised to complete and sign the certificate ( OV status)

The AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days for entry into the EU or NI ( must be used within 10 days of being issued)
  • one trip only
  • 4 months for onward travel within the EU or until the date of expiry of validity of the rabies vaccination - whichever is soonest
  • 4 months for re-entry into Great Britain ( with an up-to-date rabies vaccination)

You will need to go through a traveller's point of entry when you arrive in an EU country or Northern Ireland.

Rabies blood titre tests are not required.

If you're travelling with your dog directly to Finland, Republic of Ireland, NI, Norway or Malta, it must have treatment against tapeworm. Your dog will need to receive treatment from a vet 1 to 5 days before arriving in any of these countries. Your vet must enter full details on the AHC following treatment.

Repeat trips to the EU or NI

Each AHC is validfor one trip so you will need a new certificate for each separate journey out of the UK.

Your pet will not need a repeat rabies vaccination ( 21 day wait) so long as their rabies vaccinations are up to date.

Tapeworm treatment administered by a vet is required for dogs travelling toFinland, Republic of Ireland, NI, Norway or Malta.

📞 Booking an appointment to get an Animal Health certificate

You must book an appointment with one of our official veterinarians (OV).

Please give us as much notice as possible when booking the appointment. We need to set aside an appointment lasting 30-45 minutes in order to complete and certify the documentation and we need to make sure that an OV is available.

The certificates are dual language and need to be printed in the language of the country you enter theEU at, for example if travelling via the Channel tunnel the AHC will be in French regardlessof your ultimate destination. When booking the appointment please tell us the country of entry to the EU you will be using.

We need to see evidence of your pet's microchipping date and rabies vaccination. Ifthis has not been given at Arden House you will need to bring written proof (an official vaccination card or old passport) to your appointment for the AHC, without it we cannot provide the AHC for travel.

We suggest that you discuss your travel plans with your vet at least a month before your intended travel date.

Travelling into Great Britain (GB) with your pet

An EU pet passport issued in a member state is still valid to enter Great Britain.

Your pet must have one of the following documents when entering or returning to GB:

  • an EU pet passport issued in the EU (or in GB if issued before 1 January 2021), or a pet passport from another Part 1 listed third country
  • the animal health certificate (AHC) issued in GB used to travel to the EU – which you can use to re-enter GB for up to 4 months after it was issued
  • a GB pet health certificate (for travel into GB only)

Tapeworm treatment 1-5 days prior to entry back into the UK is still required for dogs. This needs to be given by a vet and certified on the AHC, which is then valid for entry back into the UK. (or certified in the relevant section in the EU pet passport).

There are different rules for taking your pet to a non-EU country.
❓You should always check the travel requirements of the country that you are travelling to including any additional restrictions. For the latest government information click here taking your pet abroad .

More information can be obtained by contacting Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) - .

Back To Blog »
© Copyright 2024 Arden House Animal HospitalWeb Design By Toolkit Websites | Contact